- 17.1. Synopsis
- 17.2. Adding Disks
- 17.3. Resizing and Growing Disks
- 17.4. USB Storage Devices
- 17.5. Creating and Using CD Media
- 17.6. Creating and Using DVD Media
- 17.7. Creating and Using Floppy Disks
- 17.8. Backup Basics
- 17.9. Memory Disks
- 17.10. File System Snapshots
- 17.11. Disk Quotas
- 17.12. Encrypting Disk Partitions
- 17.13. Encrypting Swap
- 17.14. Highly Available Storage (HAST)
This chapter covers the use of disks and storage media in FreeBSD. This includes SCSI and IDE disks, CD and DVD media, memory-backed disks, and USB storage devices.
After reading this chapter, you will know:
How to add additional hard disks to a FreeBSD system.
How to grow the size of a disk's partition on FreeBSD.
How to configure FreeBSD to use USB storage devices.
How to use CD and DVD media on a FreeBSD system.
How to use the backup programs available under FreeBSD.
How to set up memory disks.
What file system snapshots are and how to use them efficiently.
How to use quotas to limit disk space usage.
How to encrypt disks and swap to secure them against attackers.
How to configure a highly available storage network.
Before reading this chapter, you should:
Know how to configure and install a new FreeBSD kernel.